Monday, April 9, 2007

Cream Puffs


Assembled cream puff
Originally uploaded by cupcake aspiration.
When my mother first got married, she received as a gift a cookbook full of recipes to please the new American husband. It was fairly thick as all the recipes were in both English and Japanese, and while it is about 50 years old, it's still in good shape and contains recipes my mother still uses to this day.

My mother is a somewhat reserved lady, forced to socialize from time to time at potluck dinners where she would have to bring a covered dish or dessert. Her favorite offering for these large gatherings was cream puffs, which consisted of a simple choux paste and either custard or sour cream filling. The recipe is so incredibly easy and quick to make that I had to bring it home with me. While this is not a cupcake recipe, I had to try out my mother's favorite party dessert, just so I can be reassured that I'm not a total baking failure.

I first made a simple choux paste which I spooned onto a baking sheet for about 25 minutes (until the shells were a light golden color). While they cooled, I beat about half a cup of heavy whipping cream with two tablespoons of sugar and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract until it became a nice cream. I sliced a little hole into the side of the cooled puff and spooned the whipped cream into it. A dusting of powdered sugar and cocoa and voila! Cream puffs good enough to feed to your American GI husband.

No comments: